The Collaborative School of the Arts at theREP
Collaborative School of the Arts at theREP seeks entries for the eighth annual Young Playwright Contest. Contest Winners will receive a public reading of the play in theREP’s 2022 Next Act! New Play Summit’s New Voices event – in the summer of 2022, a series of workshops led by a professional in the field, and will see their short plays professionally produced on theREP’s stage in August 2022. Submissions will be evaluated on creativity, dialogue, character development, plot structure, and the inclusion of the line “There is a fine line between…” Any scripts that are longer than 10-minutes in length when acted out will not be considered.
- Playwrights must be at least 13 years old and no older than 19 years at the time of submission and must reside within a 90-mile radius of Albany, NY.
- Submissions must be no longer than 10 minutes in length when acted out (roughly 10-12 pages in length).
- Submissions must have a title page and page numbers.
- Submissions should be formatted as stage plays (not screen plays).
- Submissions may have no more than 7 characters (extra ensemble members: i.e.. other students in the cafeteria; members of the crowd; etc. acceptable).
- Submissions must include the line: “There is a fine line between…”
- Co-authored submissions accepted.
- To submit a play, go to the Young Playwrights Application here
- Deadline to submit is Friday, March 25, 2022.
Congratulations to the winners of the 2021 Young Playwright Contest!
- Seamus Madden, The Flower
- Maxine Alpart & Isabella Libby, Broken Glass
- Leanne Airhienbuwa & Amita Ganeshkumar, Dream Escape
- Meghan Cenci & Merryn Rositzkie, Oh My God!