The School of the Performing Arts at theREP
The School of the Performing Arts at theREP seeks entries for the seventh annual Young Playwright Contest. Contest winners will receive a virtual reading of their play in theREP’s 2021 Next Act! New Play Summit’s New Voices event. In addition, all contest winners will take part in a series of virtual workshops led by theatre professionals, and see their short plays professionally produced in August 2021 during the Summer Youth Acting Program. Submissions will be evaluated on creativity, dialogue, character development, plot structure, and the inclusion of the line “If only I’d known…”
Additional Guidelines: Students must be enrolled in school at the time of submission, and within the 13-19 year age range. Students must also live within the Greater Capital Region. Plays should be no longer than 10-minutes when read (performed) aloud.
Prior to the announcement of the six winning plays, the Top 10 plays from the contest will receive a virtual reading in late April or early May.
Deadline to submit for the 2021 Young Playwright Contest is end of day, Friday, March 12, 2021.
For information on how to apply to the 2021 Young Playwright Contest:
Congratulations to the winners of the 2020 Young Playwright Contest!
- Grace Bombard (Loudonville Christian School), An Artist’s Hand
- Jeremiah Choudhury (Loudonville Christian School), Just a Normal Friday
- Megan Dellenbaugh (Bethlehem Central HS), Almost a Fairytale
- Clare Reilly & Regan Roberts (Guilderland HS), The Deadly Dinner Party
- Maya TerryStein (Shaker High School), Our New Colssus
- Jasmin VanDyke & Jonathan Jordan (Coxsackie-Athens HS), A Series of Unfortunate Ideas
*Pending Covid-19 Regulations, theREP’s 2021 Next Act Summit, and Summer Stage program will adjust to either virtual or in-person programming.