Each season, theREP offers full quality productions during the school day complete with a post-show question and answer session with cast members.
2017-2018 Student Matinee Season
She Loves Me
Book by Joe Masteroff
Music by Jerry Bock, Lyrics by Sheldon Harnick
November 30, December 8 & 14, 2017 | 10:30am
Fall in love this holiday season alongside Amalia and George, the feuding store clerks, who find solace in their secret lonely-hearts pen pals. Little do they know, they are actually writing to each other! A tangle of mistaken identity and hilarious encounters finally bring these soulmates together with a tuneful and witty score celebrated with numerous Tony, Olivier and Drama Desk Awards. This confection of a musical is based on the timeless story by Miklos Laszlo that also served as inspiration for the classic film The Shop Around the Corner and more recently You’ve Got Mail.
Recommended for grades 5 and up
Curriculum: ELA, Music
By Steven Peterson
February 9, 2018 | 10:30am
A gripping and sophisticated drama that looks behind the headlines at anti-Semitism in today’s France. When Deborah, the wife of a successful American executive based in Paris, becomes an activist defending a young Jewish Frenchwoman, Charles gets caught in the corporate hot seat. Company policy demands him to withdraw from the political limelight or lose his career, but if he won’t get involved, he may lose his marriage. With everything on the line, this winner of theREP’s Next Act Play Summit brings today’s issues right into our living rooms.
Recommended for grades 9 and up
Curriculum: ELA, World Events, Current Affairs
Classics on Stage: Blithe Spirit
By Noël Coward
April 12 & 26, 2018 | 10:30am
One highly spirited wife is fun – but two is fertile ground for this smash comedy hit of the London and Broadway stages from the witty pen of Noël Coward. Meet cantankerous novelist Charles Condomine, re-married to Ruth but haunted (literally) by the ghost of his late first wife, the clever and insistent Elvira who has been conjured up by a visiting “happy medium,” one Madame Arcati. What’s a husband to do with such an abundance of riches. . or troubles? Join the fun to discover how Charles gets the genie – or at least Elvira — back into the bottle!
Recommended for grades 7 and up.
Curriculum: ELA, European Culture
- Price: $12 a student
- Location: All plays take place in Albany at theREP (111 N. Pearl St. Albany, NY 12207).
- Performance Length: Running times vary but all matinees will be finished by 1:00 p.m. to allow adequate time for bus departure.
- Reservations: To place an order for Student Matinees please call Group Sales at Proctors at (518) 382-3884 x139.
- Scholarships: If individual students or schools are in need of scholarship support to make attending a performance at theREP possible, we will try to work together with the school to help facilitate attendance (schools must have 50% or more participation in reduced or free lunch programs). Please contact the Arts Education Manager, for a Request for Assistance Form at (518) 382-3884 x128.
- Chaperones: For every 15 students, one complimentary adult ticket is provided.
- Call (518) 382-3884 x139 or fill out the ONLINE ORDER FORM for reservations. Certain shows may be open to the general public on a space-available basis; for individual tickets, call (518) 346-6204.
- Advance registrations are required for all orders. Reservations are processed on a first come, first served basis.
- The minimum size for a group order is 10 people. Orders under 10 can be placed by calling our Box Office (518) 346-6204.
- Final counts are required no later than 30 days prior to the event.
- Payment is accepted by check, cash or major credit card and is due no later than 30 days in advance of each show. Reservations not paid by the 30-day deadline will be cancelled.
- Please notify theREP when placing an order if using BOCES funding.
- Invoices are e-mailed to you promptly after you place an order for immediate confirmation. If you have not received this confirmation, your reservation is not guaranteed.
CHANGES & CANCELLATIONS
- No refunds or exchanges will be made after the 30-day deadline.
- Please be aware that we cannot guarantee seating for additional students if the show is sold out, although we will make every effort to accommodate when space permits.
- Every attendee must reserve a seat. Remember to reserve seating for all teachers and chaperones as well as students.
- If your school is cancelled due to weather, we will make every effort to put you in an alternate School Day performance, if available, or provide a credit to be used within the current season only. Phone calls must be received prior to performance. If your school is not closed and you choose not to attend a performance, we cannot make alternate accommodations.
- theREP accommodates mobility, hearing and visually challenged patrons to the best of our ability.
Please advise theREP of special needs when the order is placed so we can make arrangements prior to your arrival.