1. gain or acquire knowledge of or skill in (something) by study, experience, or being taught.
Motivated by the belief in the value of arts in education and a commitment to the youth of our community, the School of the Performing Arts at Proctors and theREP offer a variety of educational programs to tens of thousands of students each season.
Whether you’re interested in being onstage or behind the scenes, our programs allow students of all ages and experience levels to explore what it means to be in this creative industry.
Our classroom or your classroom, we offer programming to fit every need and budget. Take a look at our offerings below.
- Broadway shows – With the very best of touring Broadway right here in the Capital Region, why go elsewhere?
- Broadway Tech – Under the guidance of distinguished professionals, the Broadway Tech program immerses production students in an atmosphere of professional theatre.
- Film & media programs – Proctors hosts several film, music and video programs throughout the year, offering skill- based training, internships and apprentice opportunities for youth. In addition, Proctors is home to Open Stage Media television, providing an outlet to showcase the work done by the next generation of media-makers.
- Internships – Internships offer undergraduate and graduate an in-depth experience of working in a not-for-profit theatre company. Training is supplemented with discussions and workshops with directors, designers and senior staff who provide insight into the overall management of the company.
- Master Classes – Our Broadway Master Class Series offers the exclusive opportunity for professional–level training for career development.
- MediaWorks – An Arts-in-Education program held in three local school districts designed to integrate media arts with Common Core curriculum to create new pathways for student success.
- TheatreTalks – The Henry Schaffer TheatreTalk series offers pre- or post-performance arts discussions to ticket buyers free of charge. The discussions are delivered by company artists to engage patrons in a unique forum for learning about a specific performance.
- Workforce Development – Proctors will unveil a 12,000-square foot training center in October 2017, where the next generation of stars – on and off stage – will gain the hands-on experience needed to succeed in dozens of career paths in the creative fields.