Each season, theREP offers full quality productions during the school day complete with a post-show question and answer session with cast members.
2018-2019 Student Matinee Season
By Marco Ramirez
October 11, 2018 | 10:30am
Jay “The Sport” Jackson needs one more win to become heavyweight champion of the world, but in the Jim Crow reality of 1905 America, his greatest opponent may not be in the ring. Inspired by the true story of trailblazing boxer Jack Johnson, The Royale bristles with the thrilling rapid-fire dialogue and rhythmic punctuation of playwright Marco Ramirez (Netflix’s Daredevil, Orange is the New Black). This powerhouse of a play brings to explosive life the ultimate fight for a man’s place in history and packs a punch that will leave you breathless.
Recommended for grades 9+
Curriculum: ELA, Cultural Competency, History
Miss Bennet: Christmas at Pemberley
By Lauren Gunderson & Margot Melcon
November 29, December 7, 13, & 18, 2018 | 10:30 a.m.
Spend the holiday season with your favorite Pride and Prejudice characters as they gather at Pemberley, the stately home of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy. In this charmingly imagined sequel to Jane Austen’s masterwork, the ever-dependable Mary Bennet is growing tired of her role as dutiful middle sister in the face of her siblings’ romantic escapades. When the family visits for Christmas, an unexpected guest sparks Mary’s hopes for independence, an intellectual match—and possibly even love? This unstuffy, highly entertaining and warm-spirited play will delight Austen aficionados and new-comers alike—just the kind of experience multiple generations can enjoy together!
Recommended for grades 7+
Curriculum: ELA, History
Shakespeare in Love
Based on The Screenplay by Marc Norman & Tom Stoppard
Adapted for the Stage by Lee Hall
April 11, May 1, 3, & 8, 2019 | 10:30 a.m.
Young Will Shakespeare has writer’s block… the deadline for his new play is fast approaching but he desperately needs some inspiration. That is, until he finds his muse —Viola. This beautiful young woman is Will’s greatest admirer and will stop at nothing (including donning a moustache) to appear in his next play. As love blossoms, so does the comedy, great romance and playwriting. Join theREP for this immersive and sumptuous adaptation of the Academy Award©-winning screenplay, complete with swordfights, secret trysts, backstage disasters and a dog.
Recommended for grades 9+
Curriculum: ELA, European History
- Price: $12 a student
- Location: All plays take place in Albany at theREP (111 N. Pearl St. Albany, NY 12207).
- Performance Length: Running times vary but all matinees will be finished by 1:00 p.m. to allow adequate time for bus departure.
- Reservations: To place an order for Student Matinees please call Group Sales at Proctors at (518) 382-3884 x139.
- Scholarships: If individual students or schools are in need of scholarship support to make attending a performance at theREP possible, we will try to work together with the school to help facilitate attendance (schools must have 50% or more participation in reduced or free lunch programs). Please contact the Arts Education Manager, for a Request for Assistance Form at (518) 382-3884 x128.
- Chaperones: For every 15 students, one complimentary adult ticket is provided.
- Call (518) 382-3884 x139 or fill out the ONLINE ORDER FORM for reservations. Certain shows may be open to the general public on a space-available basis; for individual tickets, call (518) 346-6204.
- Advance registrations are required for all orders. Reservations are processed on a first come, first served basis.
- The minimum size for a group order is 10 people. Orders under 10 can be placed by calling our Box Office (518) 346-6204.
- Final counts are required no later than 30 days prior to the event.
- Payment is accepted by check, cash or major credit card and is due no later than 30 days in advance of each show. Reservations not paid by the 30-day deadline will be cancelled.
- Please notify theREP when placing an order if using BOCES funding.
- Invoices are e-mailed to you promptly after you place an order for immediate confirmation. If you have not received this confirmation, your reservation is not guaranteed.
CHANGES & CANCELLATIONS
- No refunds or exchanges will be made after the 30-day deadline.
- Please be aware that we cannot guarantee seating for additional students if the show is sold out, although we will make every effort to accommodate when space permits.
- Every attendee must reserve a seat. Remember to reserve seating for all teachers and chaperones as well as students.
- If your school is cancelled due to weather, we will make every effort to put you in an alternate School Day performance, if available, or provide a credit to be used within the current season only. Phone calls must be received prior to performance. If your school is not closed and you choose not to attend a performance, we cannot make alternate accommodations.
- theREP accommodates mobility, hearing and visually challenged patrons to the best of our ability.
Please advise theREP of special needs when the order is placed so we can make arrangements prior to your arrival.